Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Graduate

                                                                      The Graduate
 
 
 
1.) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
Director Mike Nichols is one of only twelve people to have won all the major American entertainment awards. These are the Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Awards. In 2010 he received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute. Right away, we know that the director Nichols is credible for creating great films. Nominated for best actor, this is Dustin Hoffman’s first debut film. The Graduate is one of the first true youth rebellion movies. This is obvious when Hoffman clearly does whatever he wants in the film. The movie also showed younger generation audiences some possible events of things that might happen after gradation.

2.) Find a related article and summarize the content.
I read the article "Rebellion in the 1960s and "The Graduate"" by John Adamczyk. In the article, Adamczyk discussed how the film captured the spirit of the era in the 60s. It talked about the changing of the times and the satirical point of view that the movie offered. After a short summary of the film, Adamczyk goes on to point out the rebellion that happens. He covers the rebellion of Ben with school and work, the rebellion of Ben and the Robinson women, and the rebellion of Ben and his parents. All of it comes together to outline the rebellion of the youth in the 60s and how this movie depicted it.

 

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. How did the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director, content, etc.? It was the highest-grossing motion picture of 1968. It was nominated for seven Academy Awards. The American Film Institute ranked it at number seven in its list of the greatest films of the century. It features one of the most recognizable soundtracks in movie history, by one of pop music's best-loved duos. It helped launch the careers of actor Dustin Hoffman, screenwriter Buck Henry and director Mike Nichols and has been credited with the assassination of the romantic comedy
4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.

I thought the movie was great. I set high standards for the movie after hearing about it and reading the powerpoints in class. I knew it was a good movie before watching it but I didn’t know it won the amount of awards it did. These are one of those movies that you have to rewatch to get the full meaning and affect. I didn’t notice the small things like Mike’s hand when he was standing out front of the hospital standing guard. It is those kinds of clues and hints that make the movie deep and more interesting.







CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM



1) (x) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.



2) (x) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.



3) (x) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.



4) (x) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the



bibliography in the text of the paper.



5) (x) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.



6) (x) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.



7) (x) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.



8) (x) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.


matt freda



No comments:

Post a Comment